15 July, 2010

Week Twenty Three - Ten Day Detox...


Is there  a better time for a 10 day detox diet than smack in the middle of a beautiful summer?  Maybe so, but I am doing it anyway.   It is my own  detox recipe that includes 100% RAW foods, no caffeine, no alcohol as well as 1 green smoothie, 1 fruit smoothie and 1 evening RAW meal each day(approximately 1000 calories).   
I am doing this for the experience, and am interested in what the next ten days will bring.  I will of course, be blogging through my detox with recipes, thoughts and all of the fun that comes to mind!  Wish me luck...
Day One:
Woke up feeling great.  Really wanted my 1-2 cups of fair trade, organic coffee.  Opted for a hot Rooibos tea.  Rooibos is a South African herb loaded with antioxidants.  It has a rich almost nutty flavor and is really not too bad of a substitute for coffee. 
Breakfast:  Green smoothie.  One scoop, Garden Of Life, Perfect Greens RAW Formula blended with 6 oz grapefruit juice and a banana.  I have this often for breakfast and find it pretty tasty.
Lunch:  My favorite, *Shake Your Money Maker*  from RAWvolution.   I have played with this recipe and now have my own version perfected.  The bottom line is that this shake is fabulous and leaves me energized all day long!
Dinner:  Mixed greens salad with pepitas, avocados, cucumbers, celery, figs and a ginger dressing. Enjoyed a Cosmic Cranberry Kombucha with it as well.  
Day one was fine.  The most difficult parts were skipping my morning joe (I do like the experience of drinking coffee, and I haven't yet decided if sipping tea is quite the same),  remembering not to dip into the kids potato chip bag (my weakness), and having to pass on a nice chardonnay on a beautiful summer evening.  I felt good all day (a little euphoric actually), no headaches, and the amount of food was perfect.  I am trying to focus on all of the the things I can enjoy instead of any restrictions.  I'm anxious to see how tomorrow feels!
~One Body, One LIfe~
Jennifer



Day Two:

Woke up feeling a little cloudy and in a funk today.  Had a houseful of kids, probably not a great idea at the start of a detox.

Drank peppermint tea and that was fine.  Got through the morning with a green smoothie while making raw food for the rest of the day.  Started feeling better around 2 pm after all kids were off and house was in order again.  Felt fantastic after a 5.5 mile run.  Caught up with a long time BF and that always makes for a good time.  Exercise was essential today - don't think I could have made it through the day without my easy run.  I find it interesting that although I eat pretty clean, and about 75% RAW, on a regular basis,  I am definitely in detox mode.  How the body adapts to changes in diet is so interesting. 

Breakfast:  Green smoothie with Kale, broccoli, banana, apple, lemon, celery and parsley.  


Lunch:  Shake Your Money Maker, of course.


Dinner:  Thai Curry Soup that was delicious, Almond/Flax Bread made in my dehydrator, Red Cabbage Salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, parsley and a tahini, lemon, garlic dressing.  

Looking forward to day three...
~One Body, One Life~
Jennifer



Day Three:
Day three was a good day overall.  I felt energetic, and the eating seemed very easy.  I have been sleeping life a champ and that feels wonderful.  My craving of the day was a cold beer after four hours of gardening.  Not so bad, only seven days to go...
Breakfast:  Green smoothie, repeat from day two.
Lunch: Smoothie - almond milk, fig, banana, blueberry and pineapple.  My husband's take, "This could be on the menu."  
Dinner:  Lettuce wraps from RAWvolution.  Always a great, easy choice. 
~One Body, One Life~
Jennifer