06 December, 2010

Week Thirty Seven: Raw Flatbread Pizza Recipe

Experimenting with raw, vegan foods has been my passion for a couple of years now.  Often I use recipes from my favorite raw cuisine books, however lately I have found myself experimenting and creating my own recipes.  This is how I have always cooked.  I begin with a recipe from a book or magazine and alter it to what I have on hand.  Although I am very organized, I am not always so good at planning ahead.  I tend to live in the moment and when the mood strikes and something looks or sounds good I'm all over it!  So, these flatbreads are my recent creation and they really are as delicious as they look.  Bon appetit!


Flatbread
3-4 small yellow onions thinly sliced in a food processor
1 cup ground flax seed
1 spaghetti squash, peeled and grated, in a food processor
1/3 cup good soy sauce, either Nama Shoyu or Tamari (gluten free)
1/3 cup cold pressed EVOO
Mix ingredients in large bowl.  Spread evenly onto dehydrrator tray lined with Teflex sheet, parchment paper works as well.  Dehydrate 12 hours at 110º.  Remove bread from Teflex sheet, turning it over onto an unlined tray and returning to dehydrator for another 12 hours at 110º.


Remove and cut into squares, a pizza cutter works well.  You may like your bread a little crispier, just return to dehydrator for another couple of hours.  As this does take some time and planning, I make crackers and breads at the beginning of each week so I have them on hand.




Sauce
1/1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
1/1/2 cups sun-dried tomatoes, soaked 30 minutes
1/2 cup water
1 tsp dried oregano
4-5 basil leaves
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Blend all ingredients in high speed blender or food processor for 30-45 seconds

Cheese
2 cups cashews, soaked for 2 hours and rinsed well
1 cup nutritional yeast
1 clove garlic
1/2 small onion
1/2 cup water
dash cayenne pepper
dash of sea salt
Blend ingredients in high speed blender until smooth.  I use less water and pour it in as needed, until smooth being careful not to over dilute.  Consistency should be thick enough to use as a spread.



This cheese is delicious as a dip, spread, sauce.  Keep refrigerated for up to a week.


I used a variety of toppings on the flatbreads.  The olives were a perfect pairing with the garlic and onion in the bread and cheese.  Fresh tomatoes and basil were perfect as well.  Spread a thin layer of sauce and then cheese onto flatbreads.  Top with your favorite vegetables and again, Bon appetit!
~One Body, One Life~
Jennifer