08 April, 2010

Week Ten - Beyond Food & Exercise

Upon my quest for good health, it did not take me long to realize that what I put on my body (lotions, shampoos, cosmetics, toothpaste, deodorant, shaving cream) was equally as important as what I put in my body.  Initially, I had a difficult time switching to natural products.  Shopping at department store make-up counters and pharmacies was a family affair and brought with it many fond, nostalgic feelings that I wasn't sure I was willing to let go.  However, after reading labels and doing my research, I realized it was the smart thing to do.  I found too many potentially dangerous ingredients are added to our favorite products because, like in the food industry, they are inexpensive and are potent preservatives.  Over the years I have found product lines that I trust and love but I do continue to read labels to be on the safe side. Some great companies have sold out to to large, mainstream companies increasing the risk of producing less pure products (for example Burt's Bees sold to Clorox and Aveda to Estee Lauder).  I encourage you to look closely at the products you use on a daily basis and see if you might replace them with healthier alternatives.  
Below are some of my favorite product lines and the products I have tried and/or use regularly as well as a word on one of the most controversial preservatives to date.
Parabens (methyl, propyl, butyl and ethyl) - Watch for these preservatives in your products.  Parabens are chemicals used as preservatives in cosmetics and beauty products.  Known dangers include increase risk of breast cancer.  Parabens can mimic the hormone estrogen in our bodies,  they can have endocrine disrupting actions where they interfere with our thyroid, hypothalamus and ovaries.  New studies suggest that parabens may also be responsible for anxiety disorders and learning disabilities as well as an increase risk for Alzheimers.
Miessence - My new favorite line, especially their eye serum
Intelligent Nutrients (developed by Horst Rechelbacher founder of Aveda) - Hair, skin, aromatics 
*I was priviledged to meet Mr. Rechelbacher in NYC last year and had a lengthy conversation with him about his new line.  I love the products, and respect the integrity with which they are made and sold*
Aubrey Organics - Facial cleansers and creams - great prices
Alba Botanicals - Gentle Acai renewal scrub, day cream, skin toner
Organic Coconut Oil - As wonderful for your skin and hair as it is to eat and cook with!
Dr. Bronner - Soaps
Kiss My Face - Peaceful Patchouli body lotion and Chinese Botanical body lotion, toothpastes, lip balms
Giovanni - Shampoos, conditioners, relax sanitizing towelettes (their heavenly smell has you feeling like you visited the spa), body scrubs and creams
California Baby Products - hair detangler, shampoos, body wash, lotions
Dr. Hauschka - Skin care and make-up
*Environmental Working Group (www.ewg.org) is a nice, fairly easy website for researching your favorite products
I encourage you to find a local health food store to shop with (one that does the research for you and where you know you will find only the best products for you and your family).  In Grand Rapids, Michigan I like Harvest Health, in Naples, Florida I shop Food & Thought Organic Market, in Gaylord, Michigan I shop Jo Jo's Natural Market.  As much as I love Whole Foods and Trader Joes, they don't always carry the best, most pure products (Whole Foods does a better job than Trader Joe's, in my opinion).  I learned a few years ago that finding the right health food store is much like finding the right mechanic to fix your car - find one that you like and that you feel is trustworthy to get the job done and you will be happy.  Build a relationship with the employees as they are a great source of knowledge and are usually happy to answer questions.
One last note, I am a firm believer that less is more.  Companies, even the eco-chic organic kinds, are in business to make a profit and offer all kinds of products.  Choose your products wisely and spend a little more on quality products that you need - skip all of the extras.  Simplifying your beauty routine makes for a healthier lifestyle in and of itself.  Have fun exploring some new and healthy body care products this week as you keep in mind that this too is another step toward optimum health in our 52 weeks to a healthier you!
~One Body, One Life~
Jennifer