15 February, 2010

Week Three-Motivation

Much of the reason I am writing this blog, 52 Weeks To A Healthier You, is to empower people to take control of their health as part of creating a well balanced lifestyle.  I know it's challenging to make changes and to push through the difficult physical and emotional feelings in the face of these changes.  This past weekend when I was on a long and grueling training bike ride I wanted to stop, to quit.  I wanted to leave my bike stranded on the side of the road, call a cab and go home so I could be warm and rested, back in my comfort zone.  It was then, as I was riding and dealing with the emotions of challenges and change myself, that I really started thinking about the struggles that come with making healthy changes.   For me right then it was, forget it, I'm done.  I don't care about this race and the fact that I signed up for it and have told everyone in facebook and twitter world that I'm racing a half ironman- I'm out!  For you it may be - I don't care about this 10 (20, 30, 40...) pounds that I told everyone I am going to lose, I'm going to Wendy's.  Or I know I promised myself and my family that we were on this health kick, but it's too hard and I'm good with the way things were - hello potato chips.  I do understand this, and I did even before my "training ride gone bad" reminded me just how difficult goals and changes can be.  There are times when it seems so much easier to give in to our desires rather than to push through the pain and move one step closer to our goal.  I could have very easily stopped my ride on Saturday and maybe it wouldn't have affected my race performance, but I kept thinking what if I don't make my race goal - I'm going to look back and remember this ride.  However, if I train my best and still don't make my goal, at least I will have done everything to try to make it happen.  So now, let me ask you this - how do you feel when you give in to your desires?  I know, sometimes really great,  but what about after that? What is the feeling you most commonly have nagging at you?  Now compare how you feel when you push through the pain and get beyond the craving or go an entire day, week, month, filling your body with great fuel and just enough of it?  Or exercise enough to give you energy, make you stronger,  and/or lose some weight?  Consider these questions this week as you continue eliminating the processed foods and hopefully keeping a food journal either online or on paper.  Set a goal if you haven't already.  Maybe it's to eat healthier, lose weight, run a race, exercise everyday - whatever it is, set your goal and tell everyone about it.  Accountability is a motivator.  Keep up the great work and know that you are going to feel amazing when you get through this year (hopefully you're feeling the effects already!) of making healthy changes.
~One Body, One Life~
Jennifer






















My Favorite Salad
Romaine lettuce and spinach leaves mixed
Artichoke Hearts
Avocados
Black Olives
Red Pepper
Garbanzo Beans
Zucchini
Onion
Dressing:
1/2 c. olive oil
1/3 c. mix 1/2 balsamic with 1/2 red wine vinegar
1 tsp dry mustard (stone ground mustard works well too)
1 clove garlic, minced
pepper
celery salt
lemon juice
shake/stir well 
Drizzle just enough to flavor, not overpower, over salad 
Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes before enjoying!







Butternut Squash Stir-Fry
2 lb butternut squash, peeled
3 tbsp hemp seed oil (I also like grapeseed oil)
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin 
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
1/3 c. coconut milk (A note about the saturated fat content in coconut milk, it has been shown in many independent studies to be a good saturated fat, easily metabolized to give your body quick energy)
1/2 c. water
2/3 c. cashews
Lime zest and fresh cilantro, for garnish

1. Slice squash into cubes 
2. Heat oil in wok or large saute pan
3. Add squash, onion, and garlic to pan and cook for 5 min
4. Stir in coriander seeds, cumin and fresh cilantro and cook for 1 min
5. Add coconut milk and water and bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until squash is tender
6. Stir in cashews and transfer stir-fry to serving dish.  Garnish with lime zest, fresh cilantro
*This dish is wonderful served by itself or over brown rice
** Adapted recipe from the Vegetarian Bible cookbook